1 a period of time spent sleeping; "he felt better after a little sleep"; "there wasn't time for a nap" [syn: sleep]
2 a soft or fuzzy surface texture
3 the yarn (as in a rug or velvet or corduroy) that stands up from the weave; "for uniform color and texture tailors cut velvet with the pile running the same direction" [syn: pile]
5 a card game similar to whist; usually played for stakes [syn: Napoleon] v : take a siesta; "She naps everyday after lunch for an hour" [syn: catnap, catch a wink] [also: napping, napped]
- Rhymes with: -æp
Etymology 1nappe(n) < hnappian (to doze), of unknown origin; cognate with Old High German hnaffezan.
a short period of sleep, especially during the day
- To have a nap; to sleep for a short period of time, especially during the day time
To have a nap
- French: faire une sieste
- To form or raise a soft or fuzzy surface on (fabric or leather).
- From the name of the French emperor Napoleon I of France (Bonaparte)
Etymology 4possibly Scandanavian, cognate with nab, see nappa
- To grab; to nab.
- Drinking cup
Nap (as a non-acronym) can refer to:
- A short sleep. See also: power-nap, siesta, catnap, polyphasic sleep, Inemuri
- A variety of texture concepts:
- The direction in which the strands of hair or fur are oriented on the skin of an animal or human body; or similarly, the direction of the pile in a carpet or other textile such as baize.
- Strong curl in hair or fur; adjective: "nappy"
- Nap is also a term for the raised (fuzzy) surface of certain kinds of cloth, such as flannel and velvet
- A measure of the thickness of a paint roller
- A British horse racing/betting term for the best bet advised by an expert on a given day (from the Napoleon – the most valuable French coin at the time the phrase was first used.)
- The card game also known as Napoleon
- An obscure word for a small wooded area of land, e.g. "down in the nap"
- An equestrian term for a horse disobeying its rider and refusing to go forward; it hangs back or tries to return to its stable or other horses. The most extreme expression is rearing.
NAP (or nap as an acronym) may stand for:
- Naples International Airport, IATA airport code
- National Academies Press of the USA
- National Action Party of some Latin American and other countries
- A National Action Plan for Children (UNO)
- A National Action Plan on the elimination of child labour
- National Alliance Party, a political party of Papua New Guinea
- National Allocation Plan, part of the European Union Emission Trading Scheme
- National Association of Parliamentarians, a non-profit association of professional parliamentarians
- Neapolitan language (ISO 639 alpha-3 code: nap)
- Nebraska AIDS Project
- Network Access Point
- Network Access Protection
- Network Against Prohibition
- Neutral Access Point, more commonly known as Internet Exchange Point
- New African Poets, a French hip hop/rap group.
- New Azerbaijan Party, the ruling political party in Azerbaijan.
- Nocturnal Art Productions, a metal, especially black metal, record label
- Non-aggression pact, an agreement between two nations that they are not to attack each other regardless of the allegiances of third nations
- Non-aggression principle, an ethical prohibition against the initiation of force
- Normaal Amsterdams Peil or Normalnull, a Western European vertical datum for recording flood or sea water level
- "Not applicable", as used in banking (in other contexts it is more often abbreviated "n/a" or "n.a.")
- Nutrition Assistance for Puerto Rico (Programa de Asistencia Nutricional), a United States Federal assistance program for nutritional needs of impoverished families in Puerto Rico.
Naps or NAPS may refer to:
- New Abstracts and Papers in Sleep, a website where one can find papers on sleep research, and sign up for notification about new such papers
- A nickname for the Cleveland Indians, a Major League Baseball team in Ohio
- Naval Academy Preparatory School for the U.S. Naval Academy and U.S. Coast Guard Academy
- National Association for the Prevention of Starvation - Student missionary group based at Oakwood College
- Nishnawbe-Aski Police Service - an Aboriginal Canadian police force in Ontario, Canada.
- North American Precis Syndicate - feature releases distributor
nap in German: NAP
nap in Esperanto: NAP
nap in French: NAP
nap in Italian: NAP
nap in Dutch: NAP
nap in Kölsch: NAP (Watt ėßß datt?)
blanket drill, break, cat nap, catnap, dover, doze, drowse, feel, finish, forty winks, grain, granular texture, indentation, interlude, intermission, knub, let up, nub, oversleep, pause, pile, pit, pock, protuberance, relax, respite, rest, saw logs, saw wood, shag, siesta, sleep, sleep soundly, slumber, snooze, snore, spot of sleep, structure, surface, surface texture, take a nap, texture, unlax, wale, weave, wink, wink of sleep, woof